Friday, February 10, 2012

Thank you, God, for cowboy boots

My wonderful, wise friend, Bridget, left me a lovely comment the other day which reminded me of how much we are loved by God.  Bridget is one of the most vibrant, colorful personalities I have ever had the privilege of knowing.  The verse she shared is one I had meditated on in preparation for this clothing  fast month, and it was great to have a reminder of it again from a friend.  The verse is this:
And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.  Matthew 6:28-29
I realized when I choose my 7 clothes for this month that I pretty much had to stay in the same color palette so that I could coordinate, layer and do the mixy-matchy thing.  That’s all well and good, if by color palette you mean brown.  I did not choose colorful.  I chose matching, could work for a professional event, sensible clothes, with sensible brown loafers.

I have worn one particular thing more than any other single item:  my super fun cowboy boots with colorful floral stitching all over them.  They were an awesome gift from my mom and dad for Christmas this year.  My boring, practical side said, “Why would you choose cowboy boots?  There must be a better choice.”  But, thankfully, I let my right brain win.  The cowboy boots were in.  Now I know why.



They are bright and cheerful and add a dash of fun to my dullsville wardrobe.  Please understand I am not complaining about my clothing or my clothing choices.  I am privileged to own even 7 articles of clothing plus two pairs of shoes.  (I read something startling a year or so ago:  if you own shoes, can read a book, and have access to clean drinking water, you are rich.)  I am just saying that I used my privilege to choose basically bland, brown clothes.

Because I’ve felt a little starved for color in my wardrobe, I am so glad to have my sassy boots to wear.  I had not connected the “flowers of the field” verse to my boots until tonight when I sat down to write.  I’m so tickled that now, whenever I put on my boots, I will be wearing a reminder!  My boots are a reminder that if God cared enough about his creation to dress the flowers in a beautiful wardrobe of color, texture, shape and scent, how much more he must care about His children who are created in His own image.

Thank you, God, for cowboy boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment